Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Chargers QB Justin Herbert will miss rest of season after undergoing surgery on broken finger -FinTechWorld
PredictIQ-Chargers QB Justin Herbert will miss rest of season after undergoing surgery on broken finger
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 17:50:45
COSTA MESA,PredictIQ Calif. (AP) — Justin Herbert will undergo surgery on Tuesday on his broken index finger on his right hand and will miss the Los Angeles Chargers’ remaining four games this season.
Herbert visited two hand specialists on Monday after he suffered the injury during the second quarter of Los Angeles’ 24-7 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday.
“He is tough as they come, but we’re going to make sure that, whatever it is, we’re going to do what is best for Justin, long term,” coach Brandon Staley said on Monday.
Herbert is the seventh starting quarterback in the league to be lost for the season because of an injury if the Jets’ Aaron Rodgers does not return from his torn Achilles tendon. That includes the top two QBs who signed extensions during the preseason.
Herbert signed a $252.5 million extension on the first day of training camp and Cincinnati’s Joe Burrow inked a five-year extension worth $275 million three days before the start of the regular season.
Easton Stick will get his first NFL start on Thursday night at Las Vegas against the Raiders. The Chargers are 5-8 and have dropped four of their past five.
Stick will be only the fourth Chargers starting quarterback since 2006, which is tied with Tampa Bay and Philadelphia for second fewest in that span.
Green Bay and Seattle have had only three starting QBs in the past 18 seasons.
Herbert, the sixth overall pick in the 2020 draft, had been durable in his career, with 62 consecutive regular-season starts. He has played through a broken finger on his non-throwing hand earlier this season and fractured rib cartilage last season.
Max Duggan, who was selected in the seventh round of April’s draft, will be called up from the practice squad to be Stick’s backup once Herbert is placed on injured reserve.
Herbert is the third significant member of the Chargers’ offense who has been lost for the season. Wide receiver Mike Williams suffered a knee injury in Week 3 at Minnesota and center Corey Linsley played in only three games before being sidelined because of a heart-related issue.
Wide receiver Joshua Palmer, who started in Williams’ place, has missed the past six games because of a knee injury. Alex Erickson, who spent training camp with the New York Jets, got his second start of the season Sunday.
The offseason hiring of Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator has not provided the spark many thought would happen. Los Angeles is in the midst of one of its worst offensive stretches of the season with only three touchdowns in the past 14 quarters.
The Chargers are ranked 17th in total offense. They are on pace for their lowest ranking since they were 18th in 2014.
___
AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl
veryGood! (45)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- These Photos of Bennifer and More at the 2003 Oscars Will Cause Severe Nostalgia
- South African pilot finds cobra under seat, makes emergency landing: I kept looking down
- OnlyFans Says It Will Ban Sexually Explicit Content
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Hobbled Hubble Telescope Springs Back To Life On Its Backup System
- Man charged after taking platypus on train ride and shopping trip; fate of the animal remains a mystery
- Matthew Mazzotta: How Can We Redesign Overlooked Spaces To Better Serve The Public?
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Raise a Glass to the 2023 Oscars With These Award-Worthy Drink Recipes
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Fact-Checking Oscar Nominee Ana de Armas in Blonde: What the Film Made Up About Marilyn Monroe
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Tarte Cosmetics, MAC, Zitsticka, Peach & Lily, and More
- China conducting military drills near Taiwan, says they serve as a stern warning
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- The most expensive license plate in the world just sold at auction for $15 million
- See Gisele Bündchen Strut Her Stuff While Pole Dancing in New Fashion Campaign
- Pope Francis leads Easter Sunday mass to big crowds in Vatican Square
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
In The U.S., Google Searches For 'Dating' Have Reached A 5-Year High
Pope Francis misses Good Friday nighttime procession at Colosseum in cold Rome
Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
McCarthy meets with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-Wen in California over objections from China
Stranger Things' Grace Van Dien Steps Back From Acting After Alleged Sexual Harassment
OnlyFans Says It Will Ban Sexually Explicit Content