Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FinTechWorld
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:33:16
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (71342)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation Speaks Out on Delinquency Debacle
- Missouri man who crashed U-Haul into White House security barrier pleads guilty
- Preakness 2024 odds, post positions and how to watch second leg of Triple Crown
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Taylor Swift files for 'Female Rage: The Musical' trademark. Is she headed to Broadway?
- Seriously, don't drink the raw milk: Social media doubles down despite bird flu outbreak
- In Michael Cohen's testimony against Donald Trump, a possible defense witness emerges
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Jason Kelce officially joins ESPN, will be part of 'Monday Night Football' coverage
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Jokic scores 40, Nuggets shut down Edwards in 112-97 win over Wolves for a 3-2 series lead
- What to watch in Tuesday’s Maryland US Senate primaries
- Putin replaces long-time defense minister Sergei Shoigu as Ukraine war heats up in its 3rd year
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- See Pregnant Hailey Bieber and Justin Bieber Step Out for First Time Since Announcing Baby on the Way
- Mississippi man suspected of killing mother, 2 sisters is fatally shot by state troopers in Arizona
- Alice Munro, Nobel literature winner revered as short story master, dead at 92
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Filibuster by Missouri Democrats passes 24-hour mark over a constitutional change
How did Caitlin Clark do in WNBA debut? Indiana Fever vs Connecticut Sun highlights
Harris drops F-bomb while encouraging Asian Americans to break down barriers
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
15-year-old girl killed in hit-and-run boat crash in Florida: 'She brought so much joy'
Looking to save money? Try shopping at bin stores.
Amazon Web Services CEO Adam Selipsky steps down to 'spend more time with family, recharge'