Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry to return to London for Invictus Games anniversary -FinTechWorld
Prince Harry to return to London for Invictus Games anniversary
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:53:26
Prince Harry is expected to return to the United Kingdom for the first time since he made a quick trip to visit his father King Charles III after his cancer diagnosis became public earlier this year, the prince and Invictus Games Foundation announced Sunday.
The Duke of Sussex will attend the thanksgiving service for the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games Foundation in London on May 8.
The prince will give a reading during the service at St. Paul's Cathedral while actor Damian Lewis will recite a poem. It was not immediately clear if Harry's wife, Meghan Markle, would be making the trip from California, where they live with their two children.
The prince first created the Invictus Games, a sporting event for military personnel wounded in action, in 2014, when the first event took place in London.
The ceremony next month will mark a "decade of changing lives and saving lives through sport," a spokesperson for the Invictus Games said.
The news of the prince's visit to London comes two days after Buckingham Palace confirmed that King Charles III will resume public engagements next week. The palace said the king had made sufficient progress in his cancer treatment and that doctors were "very encouraged by the progress made so far and remain positive about the King's continued recovery."
Harry made a quick visit to his father's Clarence House residence in central London in February, a day after news broke of the king's diagnosis.
Harry spoke with his father about the cancer diagnosis before leaving the U.S., Buckingham Palace said. The king personally informed both of his sons, Harry and William, the Prince of Wales, and his siblings, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, about his health.
Charles' health diagnosis is not the only troubling health news for the family: About a month after the king disclosed his cancer treatment, his daughter-in-law Catherine, the Princess of Wales also known as Kate Middleton, announced that she was undergoing preventative chemotherapy following abdominal surgery in January. Harry and Meghan issued a statement after Kate's health disclosure saying they "we wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace," and People magazine reported they privately reached out to her.
- In:
- King Charles III
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- United Kingdom
- London
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at cbsnews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (926)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- US job openings fall as demand for workers weakens
- Travis Kelce Details Buying Racehorse Sharing Taylor Swift’s Name
- Horoscopes Today, September 2, 2024
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- New York man gets 13 months in prison for thousands of harassing calls to Congress
- FACT FOCUS: Posts falsely claim video shows Harris promising to censor X and owner Elon Musk
- How Joey King Is Celebrating First Wedding Anniversary to Steven Piet
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Khloe Kardashian Shares Sweet Insight Into Son Tatum’s Bond With Saint West
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Actor Ed Burns wrote a really good novel: What's based on real life and what's fiction
- Maui wildfire report details how communities can reduce the risk of similar disasters
- Ryan Reynolds honors late 'Roseanne' producer Eric Gilliland: 'It's a tragedy he's gone'
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 'I thought we were all going to die': Video catches wild scene as Mustang slams into home
- 11-year-old boy charged with killing former Louisiana city mayor, his daughter: Police
- Bowl projections: College Football Playoff gets shakeup with Miami, Missouri joining field
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Naomi Campbell remains iconic – and shades Anna Wintour – at Harlem's Fashion Row event
How Joey King Is Celebrating First Wedding Anniversary to Steven Piet
Hunter Biden’s tax trial carries less political weight but heavy emotional toll for the president
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Workers at General Motors joint venture battery plant in Tennessee unionize and will get pay raise
Police say 11-year-old used 2 guns to kill former Louisiana mayor and his daughter
Elton John shares 'severe eye infection' has caused 'limited vision in one eye'