Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security -FinTechWorld
Poinbank Exchange|Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:39:16
Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and Poinbank Exchangemoved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media. His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry's security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke's safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the "tragic death" of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the "likely significant public upset were a successful attack" on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
- A look at Prince Harry's legal battles against U.K. media
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London's police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn't be used as "private bodyguards for the wealthy."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
veryGood! (33188)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Matthew Perry's family releases statement thanking fans following star's death
- Joran van der Sloot is sent back to Peru after US trial and confession in Holloway killing
- Colorado continues freefall in NCAA Re-Rank 1-133 after another loss
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- What Trump can say and can’t say under a gag order in his federal 2020 election interference case
- A 16-year-old is arrested in the fatal shooting of a Rocky Mountain College student-athlete
- Charlie Puth's tribute to Matthew Perry with 'Friends' theme song moves fans: Watch here
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 'He was pretty hungry': Fisherman missing 2 weeks off Washington found alive
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Surge in interest rates and a cloudier economic picture to keep Federal Reserve on sidelines
- Colombia veers to the right as President Petro’s allies lose by wide margins in regional elections
- How UAW contracts changed with new Ford, GM and Stellantis deals
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Ariana Madix Reveals Unexpected Dancing With the Stars Body Transformation
- Honolulu, US Army use helicopters to fight remote Oahu wildfire
- Woman poisons boyfriend to death over 'financial motives,' police say
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Tarantula crossing road causes traffic accident in Death Valley National Park
Chinese factory activity contracts in October as pandemic recovery falters
Texas AG Ken Paxton’s securities fraud trial set for April, more than 8 years after indictment
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Black community says highway project caused major flooding, threatening their homes
Tropical Storm Pilar heads toward El Salvador and is expected to bring heavy rain to Central America
Family calls for justice after man struck by police car, buried without notice