Current:Home > reviews3rd Republican presidential debate is set for Nov. 8 in Miami, with the strictest qualifications yet -FinTechWorld
3rd Republican presidential debate is set for Nov. 8 in Miami, with the strictest qualifications yet
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:28:48
The third Republican presidential debate will be held in Miami on Nov. 8, a day after several states hold off-year elections, and candidates will be facing the most stringent requirements yet to take part.
Participating candidates must secure 4% of the vote in multiple polls and 70,000 unique donors to earn a spot on the stage, the Republican National Committee said Friday. Party officials did not immediately respond to inquiries about who would moderate the debate.
Details of the gathering come as the broad GOP field prepares for a second primary debate without their current front-runner. Former President Donald Trump, who also skipped the first debate last month, plans to meet with current and former union workers in Michigan instead of participating in the Sept. 27 debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
The requirements for the third debate will be more challenging to meet than the second. For the second debate, candidates need at least 3% in two national polls or 3% in one national poll as well as two polls from four of the early-voting states — Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina, according to the RNC. The White House hopefuls must also have at least 50,000 unique donors.
The GOP hasn’t confirmed the qualified participants for Wednesday’s debate, but several campaigns have said they’ve satisfied the marks, including former Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former Vice President Mike Pence.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson participated in the first debate, but their attendance for the second is uncertain.
The candidates are arranged on stage based on their order in polls that meet standards set by the RNC, with higher performing candidates being closer to center stage.
Scott, who was second from the right edge of the stage for the first GOP debate last month, has proposed the RNC change how it orders the candidates for next week’s debate. In a letter to Chair Ronna McDaniel, Scott’s campaign argued that, since Iowa’s caucus is the leadoff to GOP balloting next year, “polling results from Iowa should be the primary consideration for podium placement at the September debate.”
“The debate committee has had a very thoughtful approach to the entire process, and we continue to welcome input from all candidates, partners and stakeholders,” RNC officials said of Scott’s proposal. “We look forward to hosting another fair and transparent debate stage in Simi Valley.” ___
Associated Press writers Michelle L. Price in New York and Jonathan J. Cooper in Phoenix contributed to this report.
___
Meg Kinnard can be reached at http://twitter.com/MegKinnardAP.
veryGood! (4254)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 'Frustrated' former Masters winner Zach Johnson denies directing profanity at fans
- Messi scores goal, has assist. Game tied 2-2: Sporting KC vs. Inter Miami live updates
- Eleanor Coppola, matriarch of a filmmaking family, dies at 87
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Tiger Woods sets all-time record for consecutive made cuts at The Masters in 2024
- 'Frustrated' former Masters winner Zach Johnson denies directing profanity at fans
- Caitlin Clark gets personalized AFC Richmond jersey from 'Ted Lasso' star Jason Sudeikis
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Nevada governor signs an order to address the shortage of health care workers in the state
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Woman with history of DUIs sentenced to 15 years to life for California crash that killed mom-to-be
- Get Gym Ready With Athleta’s Warehouse Sale, Where You Can Get up to 70% off Cute Activewear
- Ex-Kentucky swim coach Lars Jorgensen accused of rape, sexual assault in lawsuit
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Tiger Woods grinds through 23 holes at the Masters and somehow gets better. How?
- Atlanta United hosts Philadelphia Union; Messi's Inter Miami plays at Arrowhead Stadium
- 'I can't believe that': Watch hundreds of baby emperor penguins jump off huge ice cliff
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
US border arrests fall in March, bucking seasonal trends amid increased enforcement in Mexico
Learn more about O.J. Simpson: The TV, movies, books and podcasts about the trial of the century
Wildlife ecologist Rae Wynn-Grant talks breaking barriers and fostering diversity in new memoir
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
10 years after armed standoff with federal agents, Bundy cattle are still grazing disputed rangeland
CBS daytime show 'The Talk' ending with shortened 15th season this fall
Maine governor signs bill restricting paramilitary training in response to neo-Nazi’s plan