Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement -FinTechWorld
EchoSense:Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:37:21
FORT LAUDERDALE,EchoSense Fla. (AP) — The most severely wounded survivor of the 2018 massacre at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now owns shooter Nikolas Cruz’s name, and Cruz cannot give any interviews without his permission, under a settlement reached in a lawsuit.
Under his recent settlement with Anthony Borges, Cruz must also turn over any money he might receive as a beneficiary of a relative’s life insurance policy, participate in any scientific studies of mass shooters and donate his body to science after his death.
The agreement means that Cruz, 25, cannot benefit from or cooperate with any movies, TV shows, books or other media productions without Borges’ permission. Cruz is serving consecutive life sentences at an undisclosed prison for each of the 17 murders and 17 attempted murders he committed inside a three-story classroom building on Feb. 14, 2018.
“We just wanted to shut him down so we never have to hear about him again,” Borges’ attorney, Alex Arreaza, said Thursday.
Borges, now 21, was shot five times in the back and legs and collapsed in the middle of the third-floor hallway. Video shows that Cruz pointed his rifle at Borges as he lay on the floor, but unlike most of the other victims he walked past, did not shoot him a second time. Arreaza said he asked Cruz why he didn’t shoot Borges again, but he didn’t remember.
A promising soccer player before the shooting, Borges has undergone more than a dozen surgeries and still lives in pain. He received donations, a $1.25 million settlement from the Broward County school district and an undisclosed settlement from the FBI for their failures in preventing the shooting. Arreaza said it is difficult to say whether Borges has received enough money to cover his future medical expenses.
Several other families also sued Cruz, and a mini-trial had been scheduled for next month to assess damages against him. That trial has been canceled, Arreaza said. David Brill, the attorney representing the other families, did not return a phone call and two email messages seeking comment.
Florida already has laws that prohibit inmates from keeping any proceeds related to their crimes, including any writings or artwork they might produce in prison. In addition, Judge Elizabeth Scherer, when she sentenced Cruz, ordered that any money placed in his prison commissary account be seized to pay restitution to the victims and their families and all court and investigation costs. In total, that would be millions of dollars.
Arreaza said he feared that without the settlement, Cruz could find a way around the law and the judge’s order or assign any money he might receive to a relative or other person.
Borges, the families of those Cruz murdered and other survivors are also suing former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, the sheriff’s office and two former school security guards, alleging they failed to protect the students and staff. No trial date has been set. Peterson was acquitted of criminal charges last year.
veryGood! (1137)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Anti-corruption presidential candidate assassinated at campaign event in Ecuador’s capital
- NHL preseason schedule released: Kings, Coyotes to play two games in Melbourne, Australia
- NFL preseason games Thursday: Times, TV, live stream, matchup analysis
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- 'Botched' doctor Terry Dubrow credits wife Heather, star of 'RHOC,' after health scare
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein recovering after hospital visit for minor fall at California home
- I've spent my career explaining race, but hit a wall with Montgomery brawl memes
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Trendco to build $43 million facility in Tuskegee, creating 292 jobs
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Inflation got a little higher in July as prices for rent and gas spiked
- Student loan payments to restart soon as pause ends: Key dates to remember.
- Arizona Coyotes confirm attempt to purchase land for new arena in Mesa
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Child wounded when shots fired into home; 3rd shooting of a child in St. Louis area since Monday
- Utah’s multibillion dollar oil train proposal chugs along amid environment and derailment concerns
- Texas woman Tierra Allen, TikTok's Sassy Trucker, leaves Dubai after arrest for shouting
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
'Ludicrous': John Green reacts after Indiana library removes 'The Fault in Our Stars' from young adult shelf
Malika Andrews to replace Mike Greenberg as ESPN’s NBA Finals host, per report
Lebanon, Kuwait attempt to ban 'Barbie' for 'homosexuality,' gender themes
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
LGBTQ+ veterans file civil rights suit against Pentagon over discriminatory discharges
Barbie-approved outdoor gear for traveling between worlds
Virgin Galactic all set to fly its first tourists to the edge of space