Current:Home > InvestEx-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker faces Wednesday court deadline in fight over text messages -FinTechWorld
Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker faces Wednesday court deadline in fight over text messages
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 17:28:22
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The legal fight over whether former Michigan State University football coach Mel Tucker can release more private text messages connected to the woman who has accused him of sexual harassment has moved, at least temporarily, to federal court.
A hearing had been scheduled for Tuesday in Ingham County Circuit Court, but was canceled after Tucker's attorneys on Monday had the matter moved to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
On Tuesday afternoon, attorneys for Brenda Tracy, a prominent national advocate for sexual assault victims who filed the sexual harassment complaint against Tucker in December, sought to move the case back to state court. In doing so, they amended their initial filing to remove the one aspect that dealt with federal law. They also asked a federal judge to expedite the decision.
U.S. District Court Judge Robert Jonker set a 4 p.m. deadline on Wednesday for Tucker's attorneys to respond.
On Oct. 5, the day of a key hearing in the sexual harassment case, Tucker's legal team released pages of text messages between Tracy and her friend Ahlan Alvarado, who has since died. His attorneys say the messages show Tracy had a personal relationship with Tucker that was consensual.
Tracy then sought a court order preventing Tucker's team from releasing additional messages, arguing that further releases would include sensitive, confidential matters that could cause irreparable harm.
Ingham County Circuit Court Judge James Jamo granted a temporary order barring any additional releases and a hearing was set for Tuesday. That hearing, which was canceled in the morning, would have determined if that restraining order stayed in place.
The legal fight over text messages comes about a month after USA Today published a story detailing the long-running sexual harassment investigation of Tucker. The university suspended him without pay the same day and on Sept. 27 fired him for cause.
Tucker — who denies any wrongdoing and said he and Tracy had a consensual, intimate relationship — has taken steps to file a lawsuit over his termination. His contract, signed in 2021, had about $80 million in guaranteed money when he was fired.
Contact reporter Matt Mencarini at [email protected]. Follow him on X, formerly Twitter, @MattMencarini.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Indiana community mourns 6 siblings killed in house fire
- Ryan Reynolds, Randall Park recreate 'The Office' bit for John Krasinksi's 'IF' teaser
- Ex-NFL quarterback Favre must finish repaying misspent welfare money, Mississippi auditor says
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Prince Harry to visit King Charles following his father's cancer diagnosis
- Sabrina Carpenter and Saltburn Star Barry Keoghan Cozy Up During Grammys 2024 After-Party
- Imprisoned mom wins early release but same relief blocked for some other domestic violence survivors
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Senate Republicans resist advancing on border policy bill, leaving aid for Ukraine in doubt
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Popular model sparks backlash for faking her death to bring awareness to cervical cancer
- Rapper Killer Mike Breaks His Silence on Arrest at 2024 Grammy Awards
- Donald Trump deploys his oft-used playbook against women who bother him. For now, it’s Nikki Haley
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Border bill supporters combat misleading claims that it would let in more migrants
- At least 99 dead in Chile as forest fires ravage densely populated areas
- Meet the newscaster in drag making LGBTQ+ history in Mexican television
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed, with China up after state fund says it will buy stocks
McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
Kelsea Ballerini Speaks Out After Her Candid Reaction to Grammys Loss Goes Viral
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Could We Be Laughing Any Harder At This Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer Friends Reunion
Police confirm names of five players charged in Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal
Sheryl Swoopes' incorrect digs at Caitlin Clark an example of old-fashioned player hatin'