Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues -FinTechWorld
SignalHub-Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:27:52
Ukraine's nuclear energy agency says it has put the last operating reactor at Europe's largest nuclear power plant into a "cold shutdown" — a safety precaution amid catastrophic flooding from the collapse of a nearby dam as Russia's war on SignalHubUkraine drags on through its 16th month.
Russian forces continued pummeling the country with missiles and drones overnight, with Ukrainian officials reporting at least four deaths and damage to a military airfield.
Five out of six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia
Nuclear Power Plant, which is occupied by Russian forces, are already in a state of cold shutdown, in which all control rods are inserted into the reactor core to stop the nuclear fission reaction and generation of heat and pressure.
Energoatom, the Ukrainian nuclear agency, said in a statement late Friday that there was "no direct threat" to the Zaporizhzhia plant due to the breach of the Kakhovka dam further down the Dnieper River, which has forced thousands of people to flee flooding and also sharply reduced water levels in a reservoir used to help cool the facility.
The last reactor was put into cold shutdown on Thursday, Energoatom said, adding that other factors in the decision included shelling near the site which has damaged overhead lines connecting the plant to Ukraine's energy system.
With all nuclear reactions stopped, temperatures and pressure inside reactors gradually decline, reducing the required intensity of water cooling of the radioactive fuel. This is a nuclear power plant's safest operating mode. Energoatom employees are still working at the power plant, although it remains controlled by the Russians.
The site's power units have not been operating since September last year. The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to visit Ukraine in the coming days.
Analysts and Russia say that Ukraine has launched a counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, potentially aiming to retake territory near the plant.
Also on Saturday morning, Ukrainian authorities reported that at least four civilians have died across the country as Russian forces launched Iranian-made Shahed drones, missiles, and artillery and mortar strikes. Ukraine's State Emergency Service reported that three people were killed and over two dozen wounded overnight in an attack targeting the Black Sea port of Odesa. A spokesperson for Ukraine's southern operational command, Natalia Humeniuk, said that two children and a pregnant woman were among those wounded.
In Ukraine's northeast, a 29-year-old man was killed as more than 10 drones targeted the Kharkiv region, its governor, Oleh Syniehubov, reported Saturday. He added that at least three other civilians were wounded.
In the Poltava region further west, there was damage to a military airfield struck overnight during a Russian drone and missile attack, local Gov. Dmytro Lunin reported. Lunin said no one was hurt. As of Saturday morning, there was no additional comment from the Ukrainian army or officials on the extent of the damage.
The Ukrainian air force said that during the night, it had shot down 20 out of 35 Shahed drones and two out of eight missiles "of various types" launched by Russian forces.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Politics
- Russia
- Drone
veryGood! (637)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Coach praises Tim Walz’s son for helping protect other kids after shooting
- Shell Shock festival criticized for Kyle Rittenhouse appearance: 'We do not discriminate'
- 11 workers at a Tennessee factory were swept away in Hurricane Helene flooding. Only 5 were rescued
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Atlanta rapper Rich Homie Quan died from an accidental drug overdose, medical examiner says
- Conyers BioLab fire in Georgia: Video shows status of cleanup, officials share update
- A US bomb from World War II explodes at a Japanese airport, causing a large crater in a taxiway
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Harris and Biden are fanning out across the Southeast as devastation from Helene grows
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Chemical smoke spewing from a Georgia factory is projected to spread toward Atlanta as winds shift
- Opinion: MLB's Pete Rose ban, gambling embrace is hypocritical. It's also the right thing to do.
- Michigan’s minimum wage to jump 20% under court ruling
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Mega Millions winning numbers for October 1 drawing: Jackpot at $93 million
- What is gabapentin? Here's why it's so controversial.
- Millie Bobby Brown and Jake Bongiovi Share Behind-the-Scenes Look at Italian Wedding Ceremony
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Lawyer for keffiyeh-wearing, pro-Palestinian protester questions arrest under local face mask ban
'I'm sorry': Garcia Glenn White becomes 6th man executed in US in 11 days
FBI will pay $22.6 million to settle female trainees' sex bias claims
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Why T.J. Holmes Credits Amy Robach’s Daughter for Their Latest Milestone
Chappell Roan returns to the stage after All Things Go cancellation: Photos
New York City Mayor Eric Adams is due back in court in his criminal case