Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack -FinTechWorld
Robert Brown|Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:30:50
Authorities have Robert Brownmore information on the terror attack plot that resulted in the cancelation of Taylor Swift’s Vienna concerts.
One day after authorities arrested a 19-year-old for allegedly plotting attacks at large events around Vienna, Austria, including Swift’s three-night Eras Tour residency, they shared the suspect has confessed more details regarding the plan; and authorities have discovered more information regarding other suspects.
Officials explained in an Aug. 8 press conference that the man, who has been classified as a primary suspect, confessed that he had planned to kill himself and a “large number” of other people with knives and explosive devices.
Head of Austria's Directorate of State Security and Intelligence Omar Haijawi-Pirchner explained during the conference, per NBC News, that the suspect, who is an Austrian native with North Macedonian roots, had downloaded manuals for bomb building.
Authorities were also able to determine paraphernalia in the prime suspect’s apartment included hydrogen peroxide, homemade explosives, detonators and detonator cables. Haijawi-Pirchner noted that explosives had already been assembled.
And they’ve expressed relief that they were able to stop the attack.
“A tragedy was prevented,” Austria’s Minister of the Interior Gerhard Karner explained during the press conference, per NBC News. “The situation was serious, the situation is serious.”
Haijawi-Pirchner gave further details on the second suspect who was arrested on the afternoon of Aug. 7, a 17-year-old Austrian citizen with Turkish and Croatian roots. The directorate said that the second suspect had been employed by a company that would have provided services at Swift’s Vienna shows—although the specificity of their service was not clarified.
In the home of the second suspect, Haijawi-Pirchner said authorities had found materials for the Salafi-jihadist group ISIS, as well as Al-Qaeda, alongside screenshotted images and videos of home laboratories.
Haijawi-Pirchner noted that authorities were currently questioning a third suspect, a 15-year-old Austrian national with Turkish roots, but that no other parties are being sought out in connection to this specific terrorist plot. He added that others “may have known” about the plan and are a part of an ongoing investigation.
Following the cancelation of Swift’s Aug. 8, Aug. 9, and Aug. 10 shows at Ernst Happel Stadium, the metropolitan police in London, UK—the next stop on her tour—confirmed to the Associated Press that there is no “indicated link” between the Austrian terror plot and the upcoming Wembley Stadium concerts, set to kick off Aug. 15.
During her 18-year career, the Grammy winner has only canceled shows in extreme circumstances, including her Lover Fest concerts due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and a 2014 concert in Thailand when the country was enforcing curfews with military force following anti-government protests.
After postponing an Eras Tour show in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, due to extreme temperatures in 2023, Taylor said in a statement, “The safety and well-being of my fans, fellow performers, and crew has to and always will come first.”
E! News has reached out to reps for Swift regarding the terrorist plot and subsequently canceled shows as well as her upcoming London shows, but has not yet heard back.
(E! News and NBC News are both a part of NBCUniversal).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (833)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- 8 states restricted sex ed last year. More could join amid growing parents' rights activism
- How to Watch the 2024 People's Choice Awards and Red Carpet
- Loophole allows man to live rent-free for 5 years in landmark New York hotel
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Legendary choreographer Fatima Robinson on moving through changes in dance
- Facebook chirping sound is a bug not a new update. Here's how to stop it now.
- What does Tiger Woods need to do to make the cut at the Genesis Invitational?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Brian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- From Cobain's top 50 to an ecosystem-changing gift, fall in love with these podcasts
- Proposed questions on sexual orientation and gender identity for the Census Bureau’s biggest survey
- Beyoncé and Michelle Williams Support Kelly Rowland at Star-Studded Movie Premiere
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Blogger Laura Merritt Walker Shares Her 3-Year-Old Son Died After Tragic Accident
- American woman goes missing in Madrid after helmeted man disables cameras
- Eras Tour in Australia: Tracking Taylor Swift's secret songs in Melbourne and Sydney
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
A birthday party for a dying father chronicles childhood before loss in 'Tótem'
White House confirms intelligence showing Russia developing anti-satellite capability
Massachusetts man is found guilty of murder in the deaths of a police officer and elderly widow
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Body of deceased woman, 30 human cremains found at house after ex-funeral home owner evicted
US women's soccer team captain Lindsey Horan apologizes for saying American fans 'aren't smart'
Pennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences